Purple, also sometimes called purple or violet, is a secondary colour that is obtained by mixing the blue with redtwo primary colors. You can get to this color with a little cyan and magentain the same way. It should be noted that the procedure is not as easy as it seems, since to obtain this color it is necessary to do it with the appropriate shades, otherwise the mixture can become a dull gray. In fact, if you add larger amounts of red, the combination will turn into a dark brown shade.
There are several alternatives to obtain a perfect purple tone, either with gouache paint, acrylic paint and pasta, among other materials. If you wish to know how to make the color purpleplease be sure to read this article from umCOMO.
How to make purple
About purple mixture of coloursTake into account that there are several combinations that you can make the desired result. Below, we give you various advice and combinations with which you can make purple with gouache:
- To make a soft purple colour or give it a warmer shade, mix a greater amount of red. Sometimes purple tends to be a little redder than violet or lilac. To do this, you will need to add a little magenta to the light violet mixture. If you want to make it even softer, just add a little white.
- If you wish to obtain a darker purpleJust do the opposite: add small drops of black paint, but not many, as there is a likelihood of discoloration.
- You can put some magenta and cyan in a small container to move them later. With a small amount you can already know if this is really the color you want. If you want to produce a larger quantity just double the portions, but always keeping the same proportion.
It is important that each colour used in the mixture is pure, i.e. that it does not have traces of other colours, that it has not been obtained from other mixtures. First, make sure that the first mixture is completely uniform, otherwise the traces of the other color may interfere with the mixture, affecting the final product: in this case, the purple color you want. In this other umCOMO article you can find many tips on How to mix colours.
How to make the color purple with acrylic paint
To make purple paint with acrylic paint, you will need the following materials:
- Red, magenta or pink acrylic paint;
- Acrylic paint blue, navy blue or a little black;
- White acrylic paint, if you want to make a light purple or soft tone;
- A vessel;
- Wooden sticks or brushes to make and stir the mixture.
Purple colour with acrylic paint
- Mix the primary colorss red and blue to get a purple tone;
- Add a little more color, depending on your desire for a lighter or darker shade, such as whitethe pink, the magenta, the navy blue or the black, until you get the desired shade;
- Make sure to mix well to get a uniform color.
More ways to make purple color with acrylic paint
- One way to reach this color with the exact tone you are looking for is through the purples that are already available on the market. Buy a basic purple acrylic paint and put it in a container, adding a little pink or white if you want a lighter shade; a little magenta or red if you want to give a warmer shade; navy blue or very little black to make a dark purple. You should add the other colors little by little and mix well, since if you make a mistake you will have to do the whole process again.
- To make the perfect purple colourpainters usually mix the colour pink with the colour ultramarine blue. Remember that if you replace the first one, you can also use the basic magenta or the magenta quinacridone.
How to make purple with pasta
To make purple modeling clay, you will need the following material and follow the recommended step by step:
- Blue pasta;
- Red pasta in greater quantity than blue;
- Masses of other colours if you wish to lighten or darken the final tone. You will need colors like white, pink, magenta, dark blue, navy and black;
Step by step to make purple colour with modelling dough
- Combine both colors by kneading the modeling dough non-stop until the colour is uniform;
- If the purple colour has become darker than you would like and you wish to lighten it, simply add a little white, pink, red or magenta modelling pasta. Keep adding as you like;
- If, on the contrary, you want a darker shade, add blue, dark blue or navy modeling pasta, or very little black pasta. Remember that every time you put more pasta you need to mix up all the pieces, until you get a uniform tone so you can see if what you want or not, before adding more colors.
How to make purple with edible dyes
Purple edible dye is often used as a decorative element in various foods or desserts, for example in cakes and pies or to make the lilac colour in chantilly. With these steps, you will also know how to make purple cake with vegetable dye – for this, you must do the following:
- Place 10 drops of red dye in a small container;
- Add five drops of dye blue;
- Move the batsmen or with a little spoon to match the colors to purple;
- If necessary, you can add plus or minus drops of red depending on what tone you want to get into. When the mixture is ready, you can use it in any recipe you are preparing in the kitchen;
Now that you know how to make purple color with various techniques, it may also be interesting to learn how to make brown color in different ways in this other umCOMO article.
If you want to read more similar articles to How to make the color purpleWe recommend that you enter our category of Art and Crafts.
Videos related to How to make the color purple
Videos related to How to make the color purple