Many people still think they need a lot of space to have a home garden. However, it is possible to make many varieties of crops for example on a terrace. Today we talk about the cultivation of potatoes, we start preparing a wooden box where we can grow them.
How to make a wooden box to grow potatoes.
For this project you will need the following materials:
- Six untreated wooden boards, with the following measures 2 ″ x 6 ″ x 8 ′.
- Two 2 ″ x 2 ″ x 2 ″ x 6 ″ wooden bolts. You can also use a 12 ′ long bolt.
- Approximately 65 cover screws 2 1/2 ″ long.
- Drill and drill bits.
For assembly you must follow the following steps:
- Cut the two 2 ″ x 2 ″ x 6 ′ bolts into four 33 ″ pieces.
- Cut the six 2 ″ x 2 ″ x 8 ′ tables into 12 21 ″ lengths and 12 24 ″ lengths.
- With a drill, open two holes at each end of the 24-inch pieces, approximately 3/4 ″ from the edge. This will allow the screws to enter the center of the cut side of the 21-inch pieces.
- Screw two of the 24 ″ pieces and two of the 21 ″ pieces to form a frame.
- Step four you will have to repeat it five more times so you will get a total of 6 frames. Stack one on top of the other, making your box.
- Place one of the 2 ″ x 2 ″ x 33 ″ pieces in the inner corner of one of the frames. This frame will be the base of the box.
- Drill two holes on the outside of this frame, so that they align with the bolt you placed in the corner of the frame. In this case, the screws will anchor the bolt in the corner of the frame at two points.
- Repeat the last step for the three remaining inner corners of the frame.
- Slide one of the other frames over the base frame, with the four “legs” inside. These two floors will be used to sow.
We already have the box ready, now we have to sow and grow the potatoes.
In relation to planting, follow the following recommendations:
- Select a place with sunshine for the box.
- Prepare the soil at the base of the box. Add potting soil and organic fertilizer, in a mixture of 40% organic fertilizer, 40% chopped leaves or grass and 20% soil. Fill the last two floors with the mixture.
- Sow the potatoes at an approximate depth of 3 ″ -4 ″ and cover them with soil. Add a thin layer of leaves as mulch.
- When potato plants measure approximately 30 cm, add another frame and fill it with soil, only one third of the plant.
- Add the remaining frames.
To harvest the potatoes, remove the boards from the bottom frame to access the soil. When you have removed all the potatoes of this level, refill it with soil and place the boards. To harvest more potatoes, repeat the same steps with the tables of the second frame. And so on until reaching the upper frame.
Enjoy your homemade potatoes!