Silver is one of the most used and coveted precious metals in the world, but the material has a serious problem: it gets very dirty over time. That’s why many people wonder how to clean a silver bracelet that turned dark or ended up oxidizing over the years.
At umCOMO we invite you to rescue all your silver jewelry and accessories to make them shine like new. We’ll explain next, how to clean silver bracelet through different easy and efficient methods. Take note!
How to clean silver bracelet with bicarbonate
This is one of the most used and effective techniques to clean all kinds of silver objects. To learn how to clean silver bracelet with bicarbonate, you will need these materials:
- Sodium bicarbonate
- ¼ of liter of hot water
- Liquid soap
- Small spoon
- A glass to prepare the mixture
- Used toothbrush
- Kitchen paper of the absorbent type
- Cotton cloth
Next, we’ll teach you how to clean silver with bicarbonate and a brush:
- In a glass, place ¼ of hot water and add two teaspoons of baking soda.
- Mix it well and put the silver bracelet inside the glass.
- Wait about 20 minutes and stir the bracelet with a spoon so that the dirt sticking to the piece is loosening.
- Take the bracelet out of the cup and wash it with soap and water to remove the remains of dirt while you rub the piece with your toothbrush.
- Dry the bracelet using absorbent paper.
- Wet the bristles of the brush in water with bicarbonate and then spread the bicarbonate itself on them.
- Rub the bracelet gently using the brush. You can repeat this process as many times as you think necessary until the piece is clean.
- Finally, you can polish the bracelet using the cotton cloth.
How to clean silver bracelet with aluminum foil and salt
This method aims to get dirt off that makes the silver dark, and this ends up happening because of the attraction generated by the aluminum foil. In addition, sodium chloride or water with salt also favors the dirt to come out, and the result is usually impeccable. You will need it:
- Bowl or small pot
- One tablespoon of salt
- Hot water
- Soft bristled toothbrush
- Absorbent paper
In the following steps we explain to you how to clean a very dirty silver bracelet using aluminum foil and salt. Obviously, you can also use this method to clean earrings, necklaces, rings, etc.
- Take the bowl and line it with foil inside and out.
- Pour the hot water, but without overflowing.
- Add the tablespoon of salt and mix everything.
- Prewash the silver objects with cold water and liquid soap to help remove stuck dirt.
- Put the silver pieces in the bowl and stir.
- Wait about 20 minutes before removing the pieces from the bowl and wash them with plenty of water.
- Place the pieces to dry with kitchen paper and then use the cotton cloth to give them even more shine.
How to clean silver bracelet with detergent
Doesn’t know how to clean a very dirty or oxidized silver bracelet? Clothing detergent is an excellent chemical agent to clean silver objects and remove dirt from them. For this, you will need it:
- Hot water
- A medium glass of ceramic
- Soap or powder detergent
Next, we’ll show you how to clean silver with detergent:
- Let the water boil and pour it into the ceramic cup.
- Add two tablespoons of detergent and stir with the spoon.
- Put the silver jewelry you want to clean in the glass.
- Stir with the spoon and you’ll see that the water will start to darken.
- Wait until the water cools down and remove the jewel.
- Wash it with cold tap water.
- Dry the piece with napkins or kitchen towels. That’s it!
How to clean silver bracelet with toothpaste
Did you know that toothpaste can also help you lighten your silver jewelry? Simple and efficientis a method that usually works especially with pieces that are not so old, but have begun to lose their brilliance. If you are wondering how to clean silver bracelet with toothpaste, follow these steps:
- Moisten an unused toothbrush and apply the toothpaste to it.
- Take the silver bracelet you want to clean and start rubbing it with the brush.
- You can wet the bracelet with some water to help you. It is essential that the piece is filled with toothpaste.
- When finished, remove the toothpaste from the bracelet with water and soap.
- Dry the piece using kitchen paper.
This technique is very effective in reaching the most difficult to clean corners. It also works for clean rings, necklaces and earrings.
How to clean silver bracelet with vinegar
If you want to know how to clean silver bracelet that got darkyou should keep in mind that vinegar can be your best ally. You will need the following materials and ingredients:
- Medium cup or bowl
Next, we’ll show you how to clean silver earringsas well as bracelets, necklaces, rings and other accessories.
- Take a medium bowl and put inside the jewels you want to clean.
- Fill the bowl with vinegar until the accessories are covered.
- Leave the silver bracelet you wish to wash submerged for about an hour.
- If you think it’s necessary to wait any longer, leave the bracelet submerged for a few more minutes.
- Wash the jewel with plenty of water.
- Use a cotton cloth to dry the silver piece well.
Other tips to keep your jewelry in good condition
As long as the silver is in contact with the environment, it will tend to darken. It is inevitable that the material will lose its shine over time, but by following these tips you will delay darkening of silver.
- Do not leave your silver pieces in the sun or in very humid places.
- Always try to dry the sweat of your hands when putting or handling silver jewelry.
- Prevent silver from coming into contact with creams, perfumes and other beauty products. When you go out, use the products first and only then put the jewelry on.
- You can wash your parts with water and soap right after you use them, especially if you have sweated a lot or been exposed to other chemical agents.
- Keep your silver pieces in silk or cotton bags to prevent light from entering.
For more information on how to clean silver, take a look at this other umCOMO article.
If you want to read more similar articles to How to clean silver braceletWe recommend that you enter our category of Art and Crafts.